Apr 25, 2009

The Doors, Jim Morrison


Once in a while it is a good exercise to a watch a movie that has the ability to inspire you in an obvious or in an obscure way. One such movie that I saw recently is ‘The Doors’ which is based on the life of Jim Morrison (played by Val Kilmer: one of the best performances I have ever seen). As I am not exactly a music person, I wasn’t that familiar with the music of Jim Morrison. But this movie introduced me to a great guy, a great idea and ofcourse great poetry. Infact two things that were the highlights for me include his early poetry, the one in its crudest form and the second: the idea that he mentions while giving an interview to journalists about how he believes in prolonged derangement of senses to reach the subconscious, It just fascinated me a lot. So did the idea of a ‘cosmic mate’ who was Pam (great performance by Meg Ryan) in this case.

Anyways, incase there are any late-comers like me, do catch the movie, especially if you are interested in poetry. After watching the movie I did a lot of research on JM’s life, poetry, ideas...The inspiration continues for me. Soon planning to fetch ‘The lost writings of Jim Morrison’...Check out some of his poems here: http://www.huddersfield1.co.uk/poetry/morrisonpoetry.htm
One of my favourites:

I am a guide to the Labyrinth

Monarch of the protean towers
on this cool stone patio
above the iron mist
sunk in its own waste
breathing its own breath

3 comments:

notgogol said...

"a great guy, a great idea and ofcourse great poetry..." and bloddy brilliant music :) honestly, even briliiant is an understatement!

notgogol said...

btw... nice template.... far, far better than the previous experiment :)

payal.k said...

Hehe...Thanks...I know the previous "experiment" was damn weird...I love this one...
PS: BTW Why dont u update ur blog more often???