Aug 22, 2008

No Smoking or Thank you for smoking?


So had one really terrible experience this time when my mom was here for a month long stay...Here's how it all happened... This friend of mine insists on behaving like a bimbette at times...I was in Bandra with a bunch of friends and mom and were hunting for a dinner place on a Saturday night...the locals would know that dinner places are jam-packed during the weekend....so we decided to experiment with mom and took her to our good old Red Box Cafe....it’s a normal dinner place with really loud music...mom was having fun with us but her attention would often get diverted when she spotted young chicks swirling the smoke outta their mouth....she made an account of it in her memory...we came home and my mom mentioned to my friend-who-insists-on behaving-like-a-bimbette-at-times about the trend of smokin amongst girls in Mumbai....n that’s when the blast happened...this friend started looking at me and started smiling and started saying "ha aunty girls ko to smoke nahi karna chaiye". I have no difficulty in getting red with blush/shame/embarrassment at drop of a hat. So I couldn’t resist the change in color of my cheeks...and mom made an account of that too...Hmmm....one day passed, tow did., three passed....no question asked...wow...think she has forgotten about it....then it exploded....answer me honestly, she said...Ok I will....Do you drink? yes mom...just breezers and wine....that’s normal right!...after a little persuasion that was take n care of ....now...now what?...do u smoke?....what!....do u smoke?....I used to...What the hell!...That means u smoke!...No I just smoked for few months...had a really bad phase in life (I wish my answer was a little more innovative).. Was it at the time you were dating this guy? ...No mom! ...(What’s the connection of a guy to my smoke!)....ok sorry...will try n never do it again....swear on me...swear on your mom will try....(said try in an almost inaudible voice)....Few days later she even found a ciggie box in my room with one smoke inside it and burst out crying...had to go through it all over again...
OK now the second part of the story....Now it’s been more than fifteen days since she is gone...I am getting a huuuuuge urge to smoke (FYI I am not an addicted smoker..not a social smoker . In fact I hardly smoke except for when I really feel like it...when I have silly mood swings...it’s been two years and its limited to that) Anyways...me being an emotional fool....can’t seem to break the promise I made to mom....Fuck... Why is life so difficult!....Then saw this movie 'Thank you for smoking' at a friend's house few days back...Awesome movie....Thought it will help me to take a call....But what the hell ...After the lobbyist in the movie took away my heart with his awesome speeches in favour of smoking (tobacco increases revenue), he broke it badly in the end by taking a moral stance when a question was asked about his stance when his son would ask for a smoke at 18....Damn!
And for that friend-who-insists-on behaving-like-a-bimbette-at-times: Din’t speak to her for many many days....got bored...have resumed talking....

3 comments:

Sowm said...

awww...

phantasmagoria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
phantasmagoria said...

i've been tryign to find out the relation between mood swings and lighting a cig. really want to know the connection. =) can you explian.