Dec 23, 2008

Into The Wild with Christopher Johnson McCandless

“What if I was smiling and running into your arms, would you see then what I see now?” asks Christopher when he is falling in the lap of a much romanticised and beautiful death according to Sean Penn’s version of the life of Christopher Johnson McCandless.


There is this secret impossible wild bizarre blissful dream in almost everyone’s heart. There is one in a million who lives that dream. Christopher was one of them. Rest, like me, often secretly imagine going “into the wild”.

Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_McCandless
Christopher Johnson McCandless (February 12, 1968August 18, 1992) was an American wanderer who hiked into the Alaskan wilderness with little food and equipment, hoping to live a period of solitude. Nearly four months later, he died of starvation near Denali National Park and Preserve. In 1996, Jon Krakauer wrote a book about his life, Into the Wild, which inspired a 2007 film of the same name (with Emile Hirsch portraying McCandless).

The movie is insanely beautiful. The story of course overshadows the beautiful screenplay. The most beautiful scene is the moment when Christopher is staring at the sun and taking his last breath.
"I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODBYE AND MAY GOD BLESS ALL!"

PS: I was quite surprised to see few cynical reviews on how Christopher lived his life. "Insane", "Stupid" is how some think of him. This is beyond my understanding. A dreamer/ a wanderer is beyond petty adjectives, Anyways I guess the world is an ironic place with more useless cynics and less fascinating dreamers.



5 comments:

Plain Vanilla said...

@Rest, like me, often secretly imagine going “into the wild”....
My Dear Absurd,
You are already out in the wild! Someone needs to lock ya up..hehehe
Muchos Love, Plain Vanilla

luke said...

Wonderful film.
My favourite quote from the film, "If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, then all possibility of life is destroyed."

phantasmagoria said...

i love your take on the movie. so, my guess is you can't wait until the trip! =)

phantasmagoria said...

i love your take on the movie. so, my guess is you can't wait until the trip! =)

Prapti said...

Payal i loved the movie..its really not for the masses, its for people who appreciate meaningful cinema.