Jan 20, 2010

Undiscovered City-Walkeshwar


This was one of those jobless (literally) days when I decided to come put of my lazy slumber and explore atleast one great place, hitherto undiscovered by me, in the city. I had vaguely heard about Walkeshwar and it just seemed the like the kind of place that I wanted to spend my evening at. So I requested my dear friend Dirts (Arundhati Mishra) to lend me her camera so that I could fully garb myself as a hoity-toity tourist!

I took a train till Grant Road and then a cab to reach my final destination. The cab guy dropped me outside a rather busy road which, as I peeped in, looked like a heavenly labyrinth. I walked through the zig-zag lane which had a set of steps everywhere after certain distance. I had beginning to fall in love with the place already! People were busy doing their own daily chores and as I had thought, it was a small world residing in that lane.

After crossing the final set of steps, I reached Banganga, which is basically a pond of not that clean water surrounded with really wide staircases from all four sides. At the cost of sounding really cliché, I really felt serenity as I sat down for a bit and observed the really sweet mayhem around me.

One side was full of ducks. Some really white and pretty, some could do with some soap and a dip in fresh water! There were people bathing, few “natives” were just chilling and were really happy to pose for me! I decided to skip the Walkeshwar temple which is a one minute walk away from Banganga and then headed back, satisfied!!!

No comments: