Mar 23, 2010

Food Addas



One of the big advantages and luxuries of coming to Mumbai is my tryst with Mumbai eating addas of all sizes and luxuries. I have divided my experience broadly into three parts and have included the places that my memory cooperated in remembering!

My first phase in Mumbai after I arrived and survived with a very meagre and limited pocket money from my loving dad was the Anna’s mess/ Xavier’s canteen/ Krishna Vihar/ Food Inn/ Jaffer Bhai/ Boiled egg wala/ Sasanian/ Five Spice/ Kayani/Mama Mia/ Monginis phase/Leopold/Mondegar.

Highly recommended: Anna’s mess and Xavier’s canteen (simple and sweet and super easy on pocket). Me and my ex-roomie were obsessed with Food Inn in Colaba. We would dig on Chicken Manchurian and egg fried rice EVERY Sunday and then walk back home to Marine Lines and doze off! Five Spice has maintained its charms for me even till date. Yum Chinese food. Leos and Mondys: I dont even need to spell out the reasons!

Avoidable: Sasanian, Krishna Vihar

The second phase was when I had just stepped out from Xavier’s comfortable existence to the big bad world of work. This was the Picaddily/ Candies/ Stadium/Indian Express canteen/ Janta/Ambience/Delhi Darbar/Sports Bar/Spaghetti Kitchen/Bombay Blues phase

Highly recommended: Candies (Had my first date in Mumbai there) and its obviously one of the coolest places ever. Janta and Ambience have decent food if u wana accompany it with binge drinking. It wouldn’t taste so nice sans the alcohol. And ofcourse, Delhi Darbar for some good old nostalgic Punjabi food. Delicious!

Avoidable: Indian Express canteen, Stadium

The third phase was more about discovering and sometimes, splurging. Britannia Café/ Mainland China/ Madras Café/ Mia Cucina/ Crepe Station/ Blue Frog/ Hard Rock Café/Café Goa/ Swati Snacks/Mini Punjab phase.

Highly recommended: Most of them actually. Britannia Café for some super authentic Parsi food, Madras Café for binging on sasta, tikau and super tasty south India VEG food, Swati Snacks for some fun gujju veg food..Mia Cucina for food+wine_ambience (my current fav place), Hard Rock for lunches. Blue Frog (when u really have loadza money) and Crepe Station for a fun-filled lazy Sunday brunch. Mainland China for a fancier and more bland version of Five Spice!

Avoidable: Mini Punjab (I personally don’t like their super oily food. But go check it for yourself)

2 comments:

notgogol said...

Janta has food? Actually, I did not know of Janta's existence till a month back.

HRC is open for lunch? Or were you way too hammered on a sat night at HRC and woke up in HRC at lunchtime on sunday? :P

payal.k said...

First: Janta has food...How can a place which serves alcohol can not have food!! :p

Second: HRC is always OPEN for lunch..hehe...And the lunch menu is just fabulous...:)