Feb 16, 2011

Train tale

Even though I got back to Bombay (I still call it Bombay and will always do, Shiv Sena can go f**k themselves) after six months, I just feel that I was just away for a very short holiday. Anyways, This is technically my sixth year in Bombay. However, like each time, I manage to explore/find something new, something exciting to keep me engrossed with the city. This time its the most unusual thing that is the highlight of this expedition. So basically, I have somehow always managed to escape the helter-skeltor of everyday train travels for various reasons like college and office being close to my place and taking cabs from Mahim to Lower Parel even though it burnt a deep hole in my pocket at the end of every month.

However, things have changed. My new office is at Nariman Point and I have no other option but to take trains. The only respite was that I had to take it at non-office hours as I work for a newspaper. Much much to my amazement, I realised how much I have started enjoying the commute. Its absolutely fantastic because this commute time has become the most interesting part of most of my days.

I observe so much when I am in the train. There are just so many new interesting faces and sometime characters to see. An old woman sleeping with her mouth open, an old guy muttering something to himself under his breath, a kid trying to escape the shackles of her mother's loving arms, the weirdest advertisements ever with all the possible typos and sometimes I also eavesdrop interesting and sometimes weird tid-bits of conversations.

This is followed by (in both mornings and evenings) a rather long walk at Marine Drive with my ipod plugged in my ears. Most of time, I am half listening to music as I am lost in the sea waves to my right. Anyhow, the point is that this city never ceases to amaze and amuse me.

No comments: