Jun 5, 2013

Obituaries

I have often expressed my love and obsession for The New York Times Obituaries section. There is nothing really cryptic about this deep interest in reading about famous/not so famous dead people. 

I love these obituaries for very simple reasons-The headlines: Most of the headlines are just like these lovely short interesting stories in themselves.

Take for example:

Aren't these just brilliant and provoking?

 

Another reason I like them because somehow they add to my general knowledge about some really offbeat people, who I would have never got to know about otherwise. Needless to say, they are almost always really well researched, detailed and written. 

A few Beginnings

Kim Merker was a chain-smoking New Yorker with literary ambitions when he went to Iowa in the mid-1950s to study poetry. He became a wordsmith of another kind.

Mr. Muehl’s art was sometimes considered a threat to public morality; at other times it was simply considered a threat to public safety.

Ms. Rame often collaborated with her husband, the playwright Dario Fo, and it was difficult to tease out who had written what.   

A few Endings: 

“I just wrote the stuff because I was pretty good at it, and I wrote as fast as I could. I don’t glorify my writing at all. For some reason I have the knack. I can’t take any credit for it, any more than you can take credit for being a beautiful girl.” 

On the third day of the conference, Ms. Stapleton left the commissioners’ seating area and wandered onto the conference floor among the delegates. She was besieged.
“Look, it’s Edith!” delegates and photographers shouted. “Look, it’s Edith!” 

“She used to joke about the fact that Dario was a monument and that she was the pedestal under the monument. Which was an awkward situation, she would say.” 

No comments: