Jul 19, 2009

“Art never comes from happiness”

Few weeks back, one of my friends had just mentioned this quote to me (by Chuck Palahniuk) in passing when we in a midst of a discussion. Somewhere this line just almost got permanently fixed in my heart and I have often found myself pondering over this idea. How far is this true?

There are enough examples in the history to cite that most artists, poets, writers have been shrouded by clouds of gloom for some reason or the other. They have had “complex” lives and often loneliness and not happiness has drawn them to give birth to what they have created.

However, as it is generalising a bit too much. I spoke to couple of my friends who came up with some pretty interesting insights.

One of my friends said that it is not necessarily true. This friend writes extremely well and paints beautifully. Keeping herself in the situation, she said, that she is often compelled to write when she is on her own and somewhere sad but she can’t paint unless and until she is feeling happy.

Another friend gave an even more beautiful picture. According to her, we have a very restricted definition of art and creativity and whatever is outside of that is tremed mechanical. According to her, there is some form of art involved in all kinds of job in the world and thus there is not direct correlation of art and happiness.

As for me, the reason I got so attracted to this idea was that somewhere I could relate to I like moth to fire. I somewhere find myself unable to pen my thoughts when I am happy. And it is really easy to flow ink to paper when I am lonely. There are more beautiful thoughts. I am more inspired to write. However, my art form is pretty much limited to writing so don't know...

What do you think?

4 comments:

notgogol said...

I will read this post soon. I saw Chuck Palahnuik's name. He is one amongst the most brilliant writers of the modern era. I must read your post... and all his books :|

payal.k said...

yea...read a lot about him after i got to know about this quote...interestin! do read this n would love to kno ur views!

notgogol said...

There are a lot more examples supporting the claim made by Palahnuik than otherwise. Van Gogh, Virginia Woolf to name two. You write wen ure unhappy, I write when I'm pissed.

LUKE said...

The only exception to art coming from happiness would be Bob Ross.. even when his wife died and he painted that same day (when he laid her to rest?)