Nov 25, 2009

Delhi Winters

One of the very few things I really miss about my hometown Delhi is "Delhi winters". Winter is my favourite season. There is some sort of romance attached to it. I have so many memories of my almost 21 winters spent there.

I love dressing up in winters. The layers and layers were just so fascinating. Bright colourful clothes- Skeevees, mufflers, socks, sneakers, cardignas, sweaters, warmers, shawls...Surpisingly however cold it has been, I have never ever worn a woolen cap or gloves...Just some sort of weird aversion...

Anyways,I remember leaving home for college at the time when fog is in no mood to give up...We would wade through it to go to Delhi University which is even colder than the normal residential areas. Our asses would freeze wherever we would sit. And we would have one cup of nescafe coffee after the other throughout the day...I somehow always feel more happy and peaceful during this season.

There is always a better variety of food too during winters. Especially in Delhi, there are lots of things which are only eaten during this season..Though I am personally not fond of many of those things like baajra khichdi, sarso saag n stuff but its nice to have these delicacies reserved for winters. It truly deserves all the special treatment.

I also have some wicked memories when I was in school and on lots of days I would just pretend to take bath in the morning (eeeuuuu i kno!) And in the night, I would really get angry when my father forced me to brush my teeth once I have tucked myself in my oh-so-cozy quilt. Once in a while, my dad would also give us a little brandy which was diluted in warm water. Now that was something I would look forward to (The seed for my love for alcohol was sown long back). It was the tastiest beverage I had ever had till then!

I miss "Delhi Winters". This year, after four years, I am planning to spend atleast few days in Delhi during December :)

No comments: