Dec 27, 2009

The big fat monster called wedding


By the time you start traversing your challenging 20s, your immediate family, their family and their dogs and cats start worrying about your marriage. For people like me, who stay away from family, it's slightly easier to deal with cuz we gotta listen to all the great talk just once in a while. Initially, I used to take great pains in explaining everyone that I am anti-marriage. I had/still have a great power point presentation in my head to prove my point. Inspite of all the million dollar wonderful reasons that I had, everybody would pass it off as 'oh all girls say that they dont wana marry' syndrome.

As I moved further in my twenties, things started to look bleak. I decided to channelise my creative energies in doing the things I like rather than wasting my great PPT to explain people that really, marriage is not the be all and end all of anybody's existence (gender no bar). I started nodding at everything that my immediate family, their family and their cats and dogs would say about my future wedding. And I realised its so much fun. They feel so happy and relieved in the fact that I am talking about my imaginary wedding that they actually have almost forgotten that there needs to be an actual wedding. So for the time being, its kinda taken care of.

Recently, however, I met my old college friends..From the five of us, one is already married, two just got hitched to their respective boyfriends :) n one's mum has each and every thing ready for her marriage including the venue...just a lil element of hardly any importance is still required-groom.

So yesterday, when I thought I would catch up on old amazing mad times with my friends, 90% of the time was spent in talking about their respective marriages...It was fun for sometime but then I felt kinda lost cuz I really cant relate to it.

I wish that people who really are comfortable being single for as long as they can, should not be ostracised. And the immediate family, their family, their cats and dogs and also friends should not constantly whisper sweet-nothings like how-it-is-so-important-to-get-married-if-you-dont-wana-end-up-an-old-crazy-hag in their ears.

I think almost everyone at this age is mature and capable enough to decide the right time for them to get married or to get married or not in the first place!!!

4 comments:

phantasmagoria said...

Now see, cats are the ones who are really nosey. they want to meddle in important and personal matters such as these. Chee..

notgogol said...

Quarter-life crisis (or the lack of it)?

payal.k said...

@notgogol: Quarter life crisis was a fun state to be in...I think its over...for now ;)

Saurabh said...

i have been trying to explain the same thing to ppl around me since ages.. Marriage is not a MUST. Good to know that ppl like me exist elsewhere.