Sep 8, 2012

Part Two

Good Will Hunting, love, 9.8 million and my friend Anu

Saturday evening was a lovely haze. Cooked, ate, drank and watched Good Will Hunting with two of my friends. We laughed quite a bit.

When I came back home, thoughts were somersaulting. Most of them well-behaved, thankfully. Something reminded me of this post that I had written, almost a year back.

I love this scene in Good Will Hunting between Robin Williams and Matt Damon about soulmates.

Sean: Do you have a soul mate?
Will: Define that.
Sean: Someone you can relate to, someone who opens things up for you.
Will: Sure, I got plenty.
Sean: Well, name them.
Will: Shakespeare, Nietzsche, Frost, O'Conner...
Sean: Well that's great. They're all dead.
Will: Not to me, they're not.
Sean: You can't have a lot of dialogue with them.
Will: Not without a heater and some serious smelling salts.

Lately, most of my daily chores, routines have a life of their own. It makes it slightly easier to cut through the chaos.

I was talking to my friend Anu last night who is a quintessential nomad traveller, in the absolute sense of the word. She personifies it. Last night, we had our 9.8 millionth chat about the complicated and interesting things of our lives in general, love, being at the centre of it all. 

Anu was born and brought up in the US, moved to India for two years, back in the States now but in Bombay currently to say goodbyes. Temporary goodbyes. She says that she has a bitter-sweet relationship with Bombay. She says, “I feel like saying ‘Love you Bombay. Fuck you Bombay’ in the same breath.” It is very similar to her and my ideas of finding “someone”. It is something we care about so much and something we don't care about at all, in the same breath!


    
You probably should give it a shot, someone gently whispers. Courage, however, takes smaller and fewer steps. Vulnerability hides under the bed. Patience goes for a short term paid vacation. The heart snuggles inside a warm blanket, alone. But probably someone will inspire all of them to go out there again. To go out on a limb. Or someone will sweep them off their feet and take them out for dinner. Candle light. It is absolutely fine for life to demand a few cliches here and there.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
payal.k said...

hahahaha...NO man...It is not about hunting for someone :p It is about a man called Will Hunting :)