May 25, 2013

A chance encounter with Quimet Sabaté

                                                                                                                                                                              
My friend Sowmyatta and I had a lovely chance encounter with this great artist Quimet Sabaté in Barcelona. We saw a poster titled 'FREE Dali Exhibition' and obviously concluded that it is an exhibition of Salvador Dali's work, something that I was trying to see during my entire trip to Paris. There is infact a Dali Museum in Paris but it charges some 10 Euros for entry and considering the tight budget that I was on, I decided to give it a miss.
Anyhow, when we went up the spiral staircase, we were surprised to find that the exhibition was actually a homage to Dali by his friend and artist Quimet Sabate. We met the Mr Sabate and his twin brother, two pleasantly charming old men. Sabate sat by this little balcony and just got up to show us a collage where he was with Dali. He also asked us (in Spanish) how old were we since most of us work is nudist. We convinced him we were old enough to look at nude pictures. He showed us the picture of his other muse, Laura, with whom he had a relationship with for years. It was a really fun experience to go through his entire art space and discover interesting pieces. And he was kind enough to pose with us for a picture which now serves as a pleasant memory.  





2 comments:

Sowm said...

I just saw this! Oh the fond memories. So lucky to have met him and see his work :)

pasquale said...

I was too in Barcelona a few days ago and I met this amazing man. I think that his work must be apreciated from more people. We also had a little conversation with him but I am dissapointed that I felt shame to ask him about his erotic adventures when he was younger. Nevermind I enjoyed very much the visit, and I' m happy that I met him.