Oct 9, 2009

Amu


When I was a kid I was extremely argumentative and my grandfather joked that she was born right after Indira Gandhi died and she is the prime minister of our home. I was born in 1984, so were most of my friends. We were born this year and Indira Gandhi died this year were the only two facts about the history that were revealed to me. I have never been much of a history enthusiast but I thought that I know most of the important highlights of the India history through the textbooks that I mugged up in school. Today I watched this documentary by Shonali Basu ‘Amu’ and I realised like the protagonist in the movie even our parents and our country haven’t educated us properly about the history of our country.

The movie was extremely enlightening. I had no idea that there were mass murders of Sikhs and there were such brutal killings. The movie subtly shows that this was in cold blood, meticulously planned by the beurocrats.

It is a must watch. It is an extremely well made film too. A lot of detailing has gone in the film in terms of everything. Everyone has done a wonderful job and especially Konkona Sensharma.

No comments: