Nov 27, 2010

FIR for an opinion



I am pretty surprised at myself these days. I have always been unfazed by what is happening around me specially when it comes to Indian politics. I am the last person you should expect to get any answers from on any current affairs question. I have often avoided the politics and current affairs parts in newspapers and news channels almost like a plague.However, since quite sometime everything happening in this country has been following me.

Anyways, the point of this post is about something that I actually have a very strong point of view on. I just read in today's Indian Express that a Delhi court has filed an FIR against Arundhati Roy. I am not even going to get into any details on the controversy since the world wide web is full of them. My point is that when the Supreme Court declared that Arundhati Roy cannot be charges against charges on sedition (Conduct or language inciting rebellion against the authority of a state) unless there is a call to violence then how the hell can Delhi Court file this FIR. Whatever might be her views! How can we be denied the Freedom to Speech now! Has the country run of out corruption charges to combat with and is now channeling all its negative energies towards activists!

Like I said, I don't want to go into whether what she said on the occasion was right or wrong. The point is that Arundhati Roy and other activists or for that matter, normal citizens of India have a right to air their opinion. We also have the right to agree or disagree with someone's opinion. Its as simple as that. Express your disagreement. Have a debate! But how the hell can you file an FIR for expressing an opinion!

I am beginning to get more and more disillusioned with the system. The word 'System' actually seems pretty ironic. I know its rather naive and gullible to expect anything close to a utopia but this is dystopia that we are living in, at its best.

No comments: