Dec 1, 2010

Haruki Murakami and Kafka


'Kafka on the Shore' is the first Murakami's book that I am reading. Honestly, I was introduced to Murakami through a very dear friend who had suggested that I should read 'Sputnik Sweetheart' because (as per my friend) I bear some sort of resemblance to one of the characters in the book. When I couldn't find that book at a bookstore, I impulsively picked up Kafka.

Kafka has been one of the most intriguing books I have ever read. I am yet to finish the last 100 pages but I am actually clinging on to it because I don't want to put it back in the bookshelf. Kafka has been like a dream, a mesmerizing dream, a kind of dream that you don't want to get over.

After Gabriel Garcia Marquez, I think Murakami has made the most wonderful use of magic realism. He treads into the deepest recesses of mind and dreams and takes you, the reader, along with him. There are instances of subtle play between reality, dreams and the subconscious.

Each and every impossible thing that he talks about seems more real than the actual reality. His narration is flawless and especially unique in this particular book. The way the two seemingly parallel stories are running only to intersect at some of the best parts in the book.

Will post some awesome stuff from the book once I finish it. For now, I leave you with this.

"The pure present is an ungraspable advance of the past devouring the future. In truth, all sensation is already memory."

No comments: